John & Lindsey

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

I REMEMBER...

Aloha...as I go through the pages, I'm struck by the blessings a terminal illness brings. The kindness, the prayers, the love fest...all this positive energy that Sean inspired. It wasn't all doom and sadness. His life was not all doom and sadness. He brought out the best in everyone he ever met, including his mom. And geez, did we laugh! We had major, serious fun along the way. I remember a terrible medical emergency, on Thanksgiving night on Martha's Vineyard where Sean had to be air-lifted by a coast guard cutter to Boston's Children's Hospital. While we were waiting for the transport, Sean was wrapped up in a silver blanket and bag, with his little head sticking out. I thought he looked like a giant baked potato. We started laughing so hard we both had tears coming down our cheeks. Of course, the nurses thought we were nuts. We had this secret language, shared glances over something happening without having to say a word...whole conversations with just one look. Our ever-expanding circle of friends and family who loved us and surrounded us with that love. Such a lovely gift! I try and carry that with me always and have such gratitude for it.

1 comment:

  1. I think I remember that incident. And I DEFINITELY remember the shared glances that could set off waves of understanding, laughter or pathos (as the occasion demanded) between you and Sean.

    Love,
    --WWR

    ReplyDelete